What is fasting?
Simply stated, fasting is refraining from food or something you enjoy, for spiritual purposes.
According to the Bible, there are three duties of every Christian: give, pray and fast. Biblical fasting takes a lot of discipline and strength—strength which you can only receive from God. Your private discipline will bring you rewards in Heaven,
says Matthew 6. When you give God your first through fasting, prayer and giving at the beginning of the year, you set the course for the entire year.
TYPES OF FASTING
Full Fast Drink only liquids.
The Daniel Fast Eat no meat, no sweets and no bread. Drink water and juice. Eat fruits and vegetables.
3-Day Fast This fast can be a Full Fast, Daniel Fast or give up at least one item of food.
Partial Fast A partial fast is from 6:00 am to 3:00 pm or from sun up to sundown. You can select from any type of fasting —a Full Fast, Daniel Fast or give up at least one item of food.
Specific Fast You can also Fast from anything in your life that you enjoy on a regular basis such as social media, coffee, sweets, television, etc.
KEY: Remember to replace that time with prayer and Bible study.
Scripture References for Fasting
Matthew 6:16-18, Matthew 9:14-15, Luke 18:9-14
Relation to Prayer and Reading of the Word: 1 Samuel 1:6-8, 17-18, Nehemiah 1:4, Daniel 9:3, 20, Joel 2:12, Luke 2:37, Acts 10:30, Acts 13:2
Corporate Fasting: 1 Samuel 7:5-6, Ezra 8:21-23, Nehemiah 9:1-3, Joel 2:15-16, Jonah 3:5-10, Acts 27:33-37
Why should I fast?
- Are you in need of healing or a miracle?
- Do you need the tender touch of God in your life?
- Is there a dream inside you that only He can make possible?
- Are you in need of a fresh encounter?
- Do you desire a deeper, more intimate and powerful relationship with the Lord?
- Are you ready to have heightened sensitivity to the desires of God?
- Do you need to break away from bondages that have been holding you hostage?
- Is there a friend or loved one that needs Salvation?
- Do you desire to know God's will for your life?
How to BeginStart with a clear goal. Be specific. Why are you fasting? Do you need direction, healing, restoration of marriage or family issues? Are you facing financial difficulties? Ask the Holy Spirit for guidance. Pray daily and read the Bible.
Confess your sins to God. Ask the Holy Spirit to reveal areas of weakness. Forgive all who have offended you and ask forgiveness from those you may have offended (Mark 11:25; Luke 11:4; 17:3-4). Surrender your life fully to Jesus Christ and reject the worldly desires that try to hinder you (Romans 12:1-2).